There are many ways that you can protect your computers, one of them is to use an antivirus. But what about the threats that come from online, attack your computer. Some Threads are so harmful (i.e. Ransomware), it can lock your files and block all your data and all activity.
Antivirus protects your computer from all the threats but it’s not fully capable of tackling online threats. Some Antivirus do come with full features of firewalls, But you have to Spend some money to enjoy full features of the antivirus and firewall.
A Firewall acts as a wall between your computer and internet. It filters out all the malicious traffic, unwanted downloads, spam, harmful popup, and some dangerous websites.
But you don’t have to pay money to use a firewall.
Here are some list of free Firewall that are as powerful as paid one:
5. OpenDNS Home
OpenDNS Home is not a downloadable firewall software. It is a setting you make in your home router to connect to the internet via OpenDNS server. This means protection applies to all that available device on your network. You just need to configure the OpenDNS server on your device, follow with some more steps and you are ready to use. This is useful in hyper-connected homes and businesses.
- Hassle-free setup process
- It is a completely free firewall process for home and office
- It does not create problem or disable existing programs like Windows Defender Firewall
- Provide different customizable filter with their security level
- Provide some basic phishing and botnet protection.
- Firewall stats available on browsers or some software interface.
- Have custom DNS which helps in improving internet speed.
- It is not a full featured Firewall protection software, so it is not fully protected.
- Settings can be confusing for beginners or entry level.
With Glasswire you can easily track incoming and outgoing data over the internet using Glasswire’s network monitoring graph, in addition you can monitor and analyse past data and activity happening between PC and over the internet.
Glasswire easily detects spyware, malware, adware, suspicious behaving apps and website and bandwidth hogs and blocks their connection. It even asks permission if you want to block or not, and warns you about harmful behaviour.
It even warns you network related changes to your PC and unusual changes to your Computer’s app that could indicate malware. Some more features are monitoring other PCs over your network and informing you when new unknown devices join your wifi.
It is powerful software in free version whereas premium version offers more features like monitoring webcam or microphone. etc.
- Shows detailed Network and bandwidth usage display broken down by IP/Host, apps, network traffic types.
- Can block apps, websites, programs, over internet connection.
- Scan apps, downloadable files for suspicious behaviour.
- Alert you every time a new app or new device accessed your network and block it if necessary.
- Full featured powerful software in Free version whereas premium available.
- Not so user friendly.
- Not so tech geeks get confused in the beginning.
Unlike any other Firewall software which restricts you in some way or other Tinywall let you work while protecting you. No annoying Pop Ups and messages.
Tinywall is completely free and offers no paid version. So, no features can be left off. It is a fully featured pack.
Tinywall is very lightweight occupying only 1MB of space. Tinywall works with Windows defender firewalls like an Add-On. It is very useful if you choose to stick with Windows native built-in firewall tool. It enhances some features and works accordingly with a windows firewall in the background without interfering in your work or needing some expert knowledge.
Tinywall does not install drivers or kernel components by which your system stays stable.
- Completely free with full features.
- No annoying pop ups or Ads in spite of being free.
- Very lightweight Firewall software uses approx 1MB of space.
- Tampering protection, blocklists and temporary firewall rules as per user requirements.
- One button click enables normal protection, blocking/allowing suspicious traffic, enables learning mode, etc.
- Provide password protection
- Blocks apps and programs accessing LAN/WAN networks.
- Rules set by users that can expire sometimes.
- It is free so you will not get team support or frequent updates.
- UI can be improved.
2. ZoneAlarm Free Firewall
ZoneAlarm Firewall software is from Check Point company, which also provides ZoneAlarm Antivirus software, Anti-Ransomware software, Mobile security, and some other security software.
It monitors the program’s suspicious behavior and shields you from hackers, identity thieves, and other online threats when you connect to an unsecured network. ZoneAlarm Firewall monitors and protects against inbound and outbound attacks, making your PC invisible to hackers stopping spyware from exposing your data to the internet.
ZoneAlarm has one advantage over others i.e., they provide exclusive data encryption with offline identity-protection. Identity Protection monitors your credit report daily to see if any changes occur, giving you an alert message of fraud, and provides you with recovery options if your identity has been stolen.
ZoneAlarm Anti-Phishing protects your information from a phishing attack while browsing online, securing your personal information from hackers and malicious websites. It scans all websites before letting you insert any personal information and alerts you whether it is a safe website or a phishing attempt.
- Identity theft protection features.
- During Gaming sessions ZoneAlarm alerts can be paused.
- Provide password protection features for unwanted settings changes.
- Integrated online backup and users can backup and restore zonealarm settings.
- Wifi PC protection and Anti-Phishing features.
- Traffic monitoring with a full report.
- Early Boot protection.
- Online contents, files, documents, software scan and safe download.
- Needs Email account to activate.
- Sometimes there are too many pop-ups for non-whitelisted apps.
- Not so user friendly for beginners.
- Antivirus installation prompts sometimes irritate you.
1. Comodo Free Firewall
Comodo is a well known company in the internet industry providing SSL certificates, Antivirus software, Firewall software, and provides various security and protection services online. It has won various Awards and certificates and recommended by various organizations, online authorities, companies and institutions.
Comodo free firewall provides come hardcore features to protects your system. Some core features are “Deny protection” feature which works with executable files to make sure they are safe. Comodo firewall gives you personalised alerts and an option to set its rules for programs and activities.
Comodo provides sandbox technology where sandbox is a virtual operating environment for untrusted programs – ensuring viruses and other malicious software are completely isolated from the rest of your computer.
Comodo firewall provides Game mode for uninterfered gaming experience from alerts, virus database updates or scheduled scans. Some more features are cloud based traffic analysis and cloud based whitelisting of apps and programs, websites.
Full control on apps and activity, provides precise and specific alert system, detailed summary of data, automatic and frequent updates. Also, gives exclusive access to Comodo’s Safe-List. And, with Training mode, the Comodo firewall automatically sets Allow Rules. There are so many features and functionality to count.
It also gives options for downloading its own browser, Comodo Dragon(optional). It also provides services like changing DNS to Comodo Secure DNS(paid), Ask to install its own Antivirus, etc.
- Provides sandboxing features for new applications.
- Personalised, precise and specific alert system.
- Efficiently monitors apps and system activity for threat.
- Cloud based behaviour analysis system keeps zero-day malware .
- Whitelist trusted vendors and publishers from cloud data for safe downloading.
- Provide easy updates and widgets features for security settings and easy setup.
- Friendly user interface and Training mode options are great features anyone can have.
- Game Mode for uninterruptible game play from popups and alerts.
- Unknowingly install addons like browsers and other software.
- Keeps you asking for updates.
0. Bonus Point
Windows Defender Firewall
Windows also provides In-built integrated firewall known as Windows Defender Firewall in every new release. It has all the basic features and functionalities you ever need. It provides sufficient protection from internet attack malicious activity.
It does not take extra space as it comes inbuilt with Microsoft Windows operating system. You just need to go and start the defender protection. That’s it, defender Firewall will start it working and will protect you from the online world.
Suggestion: I suggest you to use TinyWall with Windows Defender firewall, if you want to go with only WDF because it will enhance some features and functionality of Windows Defender firewall.
So, Here is the list of Best free Firewall for your windows. But lists are not limited to only this Firewall, there are various other firewalls which we can add or call best, it depends on individual preference and choice. Here we made a list with features and functionality of the software, its popularity, ease of use, basic offerings etc.
We will keep updating the list and add some more if we find it. And, If we left some name or you want to add something useful, please give your thoughts in the comments section.